Responding to a question by KBC contestant about his active presence on social media despite of his age Mr. Amitabh Bachhan said ‘ Once I start something, I finish it. What’s the point of staring if you don’t have will to finish it?’ Despite of his tiring schedule, he blogs everyday, sometimes after midnight but you can find a blog post everyday, they are numbered and he has been bogging for more than 2000 days without break. This quality of him is a silent factor in his success (and probably in most successful people's career) that often goes unnoticed in his massively talented personality.
“Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.” - Samuel Johnson
“I do not think that there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature.” - John D. Rockefelle
So, the important word of the day is PERSEVERANCE.
I agree….but million dollar question is how do I develop perseverance.
Little introspection and little reading filled me up with many ideas. So I am going to pick some that are most useful/ relevant to me and will customize them to suit me better.
Here are some not-so-creative ideas…
- AVOID DOUBTS AND TEMPTATION TO GIVE-UP: Stay away from any self-doubts or people who add fuel to your fire of self-doubt. There sure are going to be weak moments and you want to give-up working any more but stop, think about end result and learn to conquer those weak moments.
- KEEP A VICTORY JOURNAL: Log your achievements in this journal, no matter how trivial the victory seems. Write down what obstacle you faced along the road to success and how you overcame them. Reviewing this journal will work as energizer and confidence builder, reminding you of your capability to carry-on.I got this brilliant idea from this post
- EVEN BABY STEPS ARE BETTER THAN STANDING STILL: Fixing your 5 year or 10 year goal is no doubt important but working daily on it is even more important. Take some time out from your daily routine and decide what one activity you are going to do tomorrow that will be a step forward towards your goal also review the day that has past to verify if you actually did any such productive task.
- BE CREATIVE TO KEEP BOREDOM AT BAY: Novelty interests adults and children alike, it keeps life fresh. Depending on your goal, road to achieve it is going to be long and after initial excitement, boredom will start to peek in. Boredom might prompt you to pursue seemingly more exciting idea but be focused and create new ways to keep interest in current project. Monotonousness is an interest killer, so try to find ways to keep your excitement intact.
- HAVE FAITH: Develop a vision of what you want to achieve or what you want to be destination (can be anything… weight loss, career achievement or any personal goal). Have strong faith in whatever you are planning to undertake. Have faith that you are going to reach there. Visualize yourself at your destination, which will give you strength to carry on.